Laela Jeyne Patterns has released the Wanderlust collection, which includes the Girls Wren Skinny Jeans, the Mens Reed Trousers, the Womens Willow Pleated Trousers, and the Womens Ivy Trousers. The collection has pants for everyone in the family! For my turn on the Wanderlust collection blog tour, I chose to make the Ivy trousers. I also made the Lily blouse to wear with my new pants.
The Ivy trousers are slim leg pant with side pockets, a fly zipper and 3 lengths. The fly zipper was a little intimidating to me, as I have never made one before, however it wasn’t that bad. The pattern also includes back welt pockets, but I chose not to sew them for my pants. The most important thing that I learned from my first pair of “real” pants, is that it is so important to sew a muslin! Pants really need to be adjusted to fit your body, and a muslin allows you to make the changes necessary to get a good fit. I will describe all the changes I made for my pants, however please know that everyone will need to find what works for best for their body.
The pattern includes lengthen/shorten lines at both the hip and knee. Since I am 5’1″ I knew I would need to shorten my pants, so I removed 2″ from the knee line and 1.5″ from the hip line. I prefer a lower rise on my pants, so after making my first muslin I knew that I would adjust the front rise slightly. This was accomplished by marking 1″ down from the center of the pants and then connecting that mark up to the side. Changing the top of the pants, meant I also had to adjust the waist band pieces since I had altered the length of the top of the pants.
When I tried on my pants after attaching the waistband, I found that I had a small gap at the back. This happens often with my store bought pants as well. I was able to fix the gap by sewing the center back seam at an angle. My new seam went from the bottom of the waistband up to each side for 1/4″. This took a small wedge out of my waistband, which allowed it to sit nicely against my back.
The modifications I made, resulted in pants that are made to fit me and I am happy with my first pair of pants.
To complete my Laela Jeyne outfit, I also made the Lily blouse. The pattern is meant for woven fabrics with nice drape, so I used some cotton lawn fabric that I had leftover from this dress. I decided to make my blouse sleeveless and I chose to add a binding to the neckline instead of using the collar.
The back is finished using an exposed zipper, which gives a fun look to the blouse.
There are some wonderful bloggers participating in the Wanderlust blog tour and I hope you will check them out! You can also enter a giveaway over on the blog section at Laela Jeyne.
Laela Jeyne Patterns Wanderlust Collection Blog Tour
Modifications: For the blouse I chose not to add the collar, and instead used a binding. The pants were modified to fit me better, you can read about the specific details above.
Fabric: Grey twill from Jo-Ann Fabrics and a paisley cotton lawn from Girl Charlee