I made a trench coat!!!! If you told me a few years ago that I would make my own coat, I probably would not have believed you. While I have sewn for years, I have really been serious about sewing clothing for myself and my family for about the past year or so. As with anything, if you practice at it, you tend to get better. So, when I saw the beautiful Taylor Trench pattern from Rebecca Page, I knew I had to make one!
The first thing to consider with the Taylor Trench (and really any pattern) is which details you want in your final garment. Here are the options to choose from:
- long or short length
- welt or patch pockets
- shoulder tabs
- sleeve tabs
- yoke details
I decided on the shorter length, and that I wanted to try almost all of the details. I went with welt pockets, both shoulder and sleeve tabs, the belt, hood and the back yoke. The only thing I decided not to do was the shoulder yokes. All of the added details make this coat truly amazing!
There are both sleeve vents and a vent at the back. The sleeve hem was the most difficult part of the pattern for me, fortunately Rebecca has added a video explaining the sleeve hem and vent which explains it so well. Both of these hems are finished by hand sewing them closed, which gives a really professional finish. I might be a little strange, but I really enjoy hand stitching. Sometimes it is nice to step away from the machines and just use a needle and thread. Someday I think it would be really satisfying to make something completely be hand!
The hood is attached with four buttons on the collar, so it can be removed. It is a really nice size, large enough to keep you warm and dry, without being too big.
Here is a close up of some of the great features of the pattern. The welt pockets really add to the look of the coat.
The only modification I made to the pattern, was that I decided to only add one row of buttons down the front of the coat instead of two. I had planned on two rows, however when I was laying them out on my coat, I preferred the look of one row.
The lining is a great place to add some fun fabric. I used some cotton that I found at Jo-Ann’s. For my outer fabric, I used a brushed twill from Fabric.com. The brushed aspect of the fabric makes it really soft.
I am so completely happy with my new Taylor trench coat. Be prepared for this project to take longer than most patterns, but know that it is completely worth it! I am already dreaming of a coat in a fun color, maybe turquoise!
Modifications: I only added one row of buttons down the front of the coat, instead of two.
Fabric: Brushed twill from Fabric.com, and cotton lining from Jo-Ann Fabrics.