Yesterday I shared my plaid Julianne dress (see it here), and today I am sharing a fun hack to the pattern as my part of the Julianne Blog Tour. Once again I made the mid-thigh length dress, with the drawstring casing at the waist. This time I chose long sleeves and I hacked them to have ties as well.
Here is how I hacked the sleeves to make ties:
- cut the long sleeve piece 3″ longer
- mark 1.25″ up from the bottom of the sleeve
- make two button holes, each 0.25″ away from the center line of the sleeve
- add the sleeves to the dress following the normal instructions
- make the casing for the drawstring by folding the sleeve up 0.25″ and then another 1.25″
- sew close to the folded edge
- make two drawstrings (I made mine 21″ long, however I suggest measuring around your wrist to see what a good length is for you)
- thread your drawstrings into the casing and tie into a bow
I love the added ties at the wrists, and I think they work really well with the drawstring at the waist.
I hope you will check out the other amazing ladies on the Julianne blog tour!
The Julianne Blog Tour Schedule
November 3rd – Sewing With Sarah | Bellephant
November 4th – Very Blissful | Stitched by Jennie
November 5th – Styling With Christina | Mermaid Mama Designs | Diskordias Curvy Sewing
November 6th – Swimming in a Sea of Estrogen | Bex Textiles | Love Made Handmade
You can also visit the Do It Better Yourself Facebook page for a chance to win the pattern and some plaid fabric.
Modifications: I hacked the sleeves to add ties at the wrists.
Fabric: Flannel from Jo-Ann Fabrics